New to our salad repertoire is a kale salad laden with fresh herbs. This was designed for our chef demonstration at our local Saturday Farmer’s Market on July 4th weekend, utilizing that day’s market available produce. Fresh and light, this salad is full of bright flavors with an Asian influence.
Chef Cal & Christa DeMercurio
Asian Kale & Herb Salad with Smoked Chicken and Sesame Dressing
- Immersion Blender
- 1 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 cup sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp chili oil
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- seasonal kale chopped
- smoked chicken breast small dice
- carrot julienne
- Armenian or English cucumber julienne
- red onion small dice
- fresh mint rough chop
- fresh basil rough chop
- fresh cilantro rough chop
- fresh ginger minced
- black and white sesame seeds
- Gather all of your ingredients for the dressing, measure and combine.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth and emulsified.
- Cover and chill for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- While the dressing is holding in the refrigerator, gather all of your prepared salad ingredients. When it comes to salads, proportions are at the discretion of the cook and season. Always start with a larger base of kale, then add lesser amounts of the cucumber, carrots and chicken. To that even lesser amounts of the herbs. When adding the ginger, add just a touch, due to its power in flavor. Finally add a dusting of the sesame seeds. Toss everything together in large bowl.
- Just before serving, add desired amount of dressing and toss. Plate and serve immediately for your guests.